Poverty Is A Choice, Not Fate

Posted on November 6, 2007 by Hye

First, let's define poverty. From my own point of view, it is the insufficiency of the material necessities to life such as food, clothing, and shelter. Being poor means you lack your needs, not your wants. I am not to discuss here the environmental or global poverty, which I think is a very deep and complicated topic. I am to converse here poverty in one's self.

In my opinion, one is poor because it is his or her decision. It is neither fate nor curse. In my country, most of the people are deprived or should I say, poorer than poor. They often mutter they are poor because it is their curse and fate. They argue that they remain poor because they have no choice.

Povery is a choice not fateIf that is the case then why are there some poor people who struggled just to get away from being poor? If poverty is fate or curse, then why are there poor people who stepped up and became rich? Was it because of decision?

I think the main factor that caused this belief is the lack of knowledge. When a poor person limits himself from knowledge, he or she will remain stagnant in his or her place or belief. He will not move up or fly higher. Poverty is not only a problem of the government. Poverty starts from one's self. If we free ourselves from poverty by choosing to, then we will be free - from being poor.