The True Meaning of Respect

Posted on December 12, 2007 by Hye

Respect is an assumption of good faith and competence in another person or in the whole of oneself. Depth of integrity, trust, complementary moral values, and skill are necessary components.
Source: Wikipedia.com

I was thinking of the exact meaning of the word "respect" so I did a Google search and it gave me the above definition from Wikipedia. Well defined but it was not actually the one I am searching for. I tried opening the other search results hoping I will find what I am trying to find, but I failed. I did not get what I was searching for - the true meaning of respect.

In this case, how do you define the word respect?

I noticed that respect had been sometimes misused or misunderstood. Wise men may define it perfectly, but if no one will practice it, then respect is as good as null and void. I often hear people saying "I respect my parents... I respect my elder sister or brother... I respect my mentor... I respect you... etc.

But have you ever wonder if these people really mean what they are saying? Or did they just say it, with a big PERIOD! Maybe I was the only one who noticed it. Or maybe, you noticed it too but you just ignore and say "Who cares?!"

We may admit it or yes, it is true that actions speak louder than words. Simply saying you respect him is not enough. You have to mean and show it. It is worthless to say “I respect you” but you don’t actually mean it. You are just saying it as a “word of mouth”. If you respect someone, show it.

Now, if I were to ask you your own definition of the word "respect", how will you define it?