Justice Is Blind... Really?

Posted on February 28, 2008 by Hye

Justice Is BlindThere is an old saying stating that "Justice is blind". When I was a kid, I admit I did not exactly know what it means. I used to wonder what they mean "blind". Do they mean justice is literally blind? I even wonder why justice was symbolized by a blindfolded woman with a scale in one hand and a sword in the other.

Because of curiosity and further asking, I learn to understand the reason behind the saying "Justice is blind". Justice is not literally blind. Justice is blind in a sense that the law should be viewed objectively. Justice should be balance without bias or prejudice. In short, it should be just. A blindfolded woman demonstrates fairness and equity wherein race, social class, or gender should not influence justice.

Okay. Now that we know what justice is blind means… maybe we should reflect and ask ourselves if this statement is still practiced in reality in today’s era. Look at our government, our society, our school, or even inside our homes. Is justice really blind?