When Love Becomes A Requirement

Posted on February 9, 2008 by Hye

LoveNot about love again!...

You might be thinking that way right after reading the title of this post. Love... love... love... Sorry, as I've mentioned before... I'll be covering topics about love for the whole month of February. This is to honor Saint Valentine - the patron of love :D

Last night while I was thinking of an interesting topic about love, the idea of love as a requirement just popped up in my mind. I don't where the idea came from... I just decided to talk about that topic today.

So how is love when it becomes a requirement? Is it still called love? If not, then how should we call it. If yes, then what kind of love?

I believe that love should be unconditional - no if's, no because. If someone come to a point that he is already required to love someone, then I believe it is no longer love... because he is being forced to love that person. If you love someone, it's because you feel so, not because someone is telling you to. Love is a freewill and no one has the power to tell you what to feel. Only you can know when and how you love someone.

So what is my point here? I've seen a lot of cases about arranged marriages, relationships out of pity, relationship out of debt, and others. Some claim they did it because they are required to love that person... but my point is, that is not love. That is a choice :(

Have a great weekend.