Is Love Selfish or SelfLess?

Posted on February 19, 2008 by Hye

SelfishValentines Day is over... but it is still February so no one can stop me blogging about love. Just kidding :D Truth is, I got a lot of topics about love in my list... and one of them is my topic today.

Is Love Selfish or Selfless?

You may answer me "Love is selfless. It is never selfish..." but what if I ask you back "Really?"

We may admit it or not, even though we know that love is never selfish... in one way or another, we are selfish. We know we love that person so much but there is something in us which is selfish, right? You might disagree. Well, try answering this question:

Who comes first, you or the person you love?

Most of you reading this post may answer "The person I love". That was my answer too... but not anymore :D

Answering “the one I love” may sound admirable. However, how can you love someone if you don't love yourself? You can’t fully love another unless you love yourself first. If you don’t love yourself first, you have no love to give. If you put yourself first in love and make your happiness your priority, you are more willing to love others. We love others to the extent we love ourselves.

Loving yourself first does not mean you are selfish... If you love yourself, you have more love to give :D