An Unfinished Life 2005

Posted on February 16, 2008 by Hye

An Unfinished LifeThis is my first post about movies. Since Space of Reality covers inspirational thoughts and stories, I thought maybe featuring inspirational movies would be a great idea too. I hope it's just be fine with you :D I will be sharing stories that touched and provoked my thoughts, and in one way or another, touched my life.

Anyway, the first movie I want to feature is called An Unfinished Life starring Robert Redford, Jennifer Lopez, and Morgan Freeman. My hon bought the DVD and I thought it was another boring movie... but I was wrong. There is both inspiration and lesson in the story. Anyway, in case you want to know the summary of the story, here it is. (Note that the excerpt is copied from Wikipedia)

Still in shock from his only son's death a decade ago, Einar (Redford) has let his ranch fall into ruin along with his marriage. It is revealed that his wife, Nelly, left him for another man and now lives in Colorado. Now, Einar spends his days caring only for his hired handyman and last trusted friend, Mitch (Freeman), who was gravely injured in an encounter with a grizzly bear. Einar intends to live out his days in this heartbroken solitude--until the very person he blames for his son's accident comes to town: his daughter-in-law Jean (Lopez). Jean actually ran away with her daughter from her cruel boyfriend, Gary, who beats her up. Suddenly, Einar's quiet life is turned upside down as anger and accusations resurface. But slowly and miraculously, 11 year-old Griff's curiosity about Western life--as well as her longing for a family and a father figure--begin to chip away at the stone that has become Einar's heart, opening up the way for unexpected connection, adventure, mercy and true reunion.

To sum it up, the movie is about forgiving, letting go, and setting free. It is a great watch, I assure you.