Do you attend "Misa de Gallo"?

Posted on December 18, 2007 by Hye

I am sure not everyone here knows what "Misa de Gallo" means.

For those who are not aware what "Misa de Gallo" means, it is a Spanish phrase for Midnight mass, mostly translated as "Rooster's Mass". In our native language, we call it “Simbang Gabi”

Maybe “Rooster’s Mass” is not celebrated in your country. Or maybe yes. As for my country, it is our tradition. It is the time where we attend midnight mass on Christmas Eve. As practiced, this custom lasts for nine days, starting on December 16 until December 24. Many devoted people in my country attend this mass as a devotion to God and Blessed Mother Mary. Some even believe that if you complete the nine masses, your wish will come true. When I was young, I used to believe that too.

What I like about most attending midnight mass is the selling of Filipino delicacies, such as puto bumbong, bibingka, hot cocoa drink, and many other foods. You can buy these foods mentioned after the midnight mass. Yummy. It is amazing most Filipinos are still practicing this tradition.

Does your country practice “Misa de Gallo”, too? If not, what do you usually do?